Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Star of the Sea Parish, San Francisco


Last week my husband and I visited Star of the Sea Parish, a Catholic Church located at 4420 Geary Blvd. in San Francisco.




I didn't have much history about the work that my great-grandfather did at this parish, but was thrilled when I was doing my investigative work, which I love so much, to notice a familiar carving on their altar. I rifled through loads of my old black and white photos to find an exact match to the carvings!

Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Stunning in person! You can see such dimension after they were gilded.

The following photos are of what I believe Sam carved. His workmanship has a pattern and the beautiful carved ceilings and altar walls are distinctly his work.




such intricate carving dealing on the ceiling...






The stations look undoubtedly like his work


The confessionals as well...

I'm unsure if he did the pews and altar railing, but they very well could be his work.



Martin Ford, the business manager of the parish, kindly took us to the rectory to look through various folders of old receipts to see if there were any traces of Sam Berger. Found nothing, but it was quite interesting and very generous of him to let us in private quarters.


Such a lovely visit to a lovely parish in the Richmond District of San Francisco. 

Now off to see more!


No comments:

Post a Comment